Aaah what a lovely week!! We've just returned from several lazy days spent on the Tweed Coast, swimming, reading and eating..
Even better, this beautiful part of the world is practically on our doorstep (an hour and a half drive away). Still, like my Mother and my Nanna used to, I baked some road trip munchies to take along just in case...
Peas with fresh mint is one of my favourite things, add a little crumbled feta and you have a very yummy combination indeed! I used Stephanie Alexander's failsafe muffin mix recipe as a base, all too easy..
- 2/3 cup of peas (I normally use frozen but fresh would be lovely if you have them)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped mint
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of grape seed or light olive oil
- 220g of self raising flour (I like to use half wholemeal for this recipe, for added texture)
- generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a 12 muffin tin.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- In another larger bowl sift the flour and salt.
- Add wet mixture to flour and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tray until 2/3s full and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand in tray for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
Perfect for a little snack on the road, washed down with a lemon iced tea...
Have a lovely weekend and to those who hail from the Emerald Isle, Happy St Patricks Day!
ps. Here's a sunny little tune for my Dad, who no doubt will be enjoying a couple of favourite Van albums today..