Not so long ago a quick flick through the latest Delicious mag would be what inspired a new culinary adventure in the kitchen..
Yesterday I picked up a recipe idea from a slightly different source.., Thom's favourite show, Playschool!!
In between all the singing, dancing around and the pretend play, Playschool sometimes throws in the odd 'cooking' segment, you know pizza with toppings arranged to make a face..
In this particular episode, they made Cheesy/Vegemite Scrolls. They looked pretty yummy and really easy, so I thought we'd try a batch..
25 minutes later my happy little Vegemite was very much enjoying his tasty new snack.
I tweaked the recipe we saw a little bit, like using wholemeal flour instead of white and the result was not half bad..
Here's our version -
- 2 1/3 cups of wholemeal self raising flour
- 40g of butter, cubed
- a pinch of salt
- 200mls of milk
- 2/3 a cup of colby or mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons of Vegemite
- extra butter and Vegemite melted to brush on.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Mix flour, salt and butter together in a food processor to form a fine bread crumb like texture.
- Add milk and mix until combined.
- Turn out dough mixture onto a well floured board and lightly knead into a ball.
- Roll out dough to form a rectangle approximately 30 x 20cm.
- Add a teaspoon of boiling water to the Vegemite and stir until smooth.
- Spread the dough with the Vegemite and then sprinkle the cheese top.
- Roll up the dough length ways to form a log.
- Slice the log up into 2cm thick pieces and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush scrolls with the melted butter/Vegemite and bake for 15mins or until lightly browned.
This is a good easy recipe to modify too.. Next time we might try herb and feta or aged cheddar and mustard etc.
Who knows where this new source of inspiration will lead, decorating ideas via 'The Night Garden' perhaps..?
Have a lovely weekend!! xx